The issue has been solved. It was caused by directing the plug-ins folder (via
Preferences) to a directory in which I’ve been collecting GIMP plug-ins from
various sources. Usually, if one of these plug-ins was outdated, it simply
wouldn’t run. This time, however, the entire program was compromised.

After removing the offending directory, everything once again works as it
should.