Hello Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did as you suggested and I'm pleased with the
result. It was a painstaking process, though. I had to enlarge the image,
sometimes to 400%, to be able to see it clearly enough to make the necessary
changes. Editing the background was delicate work as I had to be careful not to
make the photo transparent. There was much trial and error involved. There's
still a very slight bit of jaggedness on the perimeter of the photo, but
fortunately it's not so noticeable at magnifications less than 50%. Also,
fortunately, any imperfections in the exported image (including those I didn't
eliminate in the photo itself that I considered minor, although I may go back
and do that later) should become more insignificant once I place my photo on the
background photo I mentioned.

Incidentally, I previously tried that approach, adding a layer mask, that is. I
had found the YouTube video you referred to. That time, though, I thought the
approach failed because after the first attempt, there were spots and faint
lines on the background, even thought I thought the whole background was
transparent. After that first attempt I gave up. This time I was careful to
paint over the blemishes and I eventually eliminated them.

Perhaps you can help me with this too. What are your thoughts about blurring the
background image after I place my photo over it? Will it enhance or detract from
the combined image? I ask this because I based my photo theme on a Wordpress
template when I took my photo, and the template photo features a model against a
blurred background of office buildings. The model stands out distinctly in the
photo, and it looks very professional.

Gary Krupa

--
Accordeoniste (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)