I need to move a selected part of an image in relation to the rest of the image.
I have spent several hours reading forum posts and trying various things, and I
still cannot find a way to do this.

The portion I need to move is a line drawing and I can select it and move the
selected area, but I cannot find a way to make the new location of the selected
area appear on the drawing.  The lines in the drawing are several pixels wide.
The only practical way I have found to select the area to move is by using fuzzy
select to make an outline of the lines I need to move, and that seems to work
well enough.  Holding down the Ctrl and Alt keys allows me to move the selected
area, but it leaves behind a grey copy of the selected area.  The selected area
cannot be removed by clicking -> Select -> None.  I tried using the Bucket Fill
tool to put the foreground color in the new selected area but that does not seem
to have any affect.

I hope someone can help.  Thanks very much,
Lloyd

--
LloydEwing (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)