I think I got it all crammed into the subject line!  I have some images with
color spots in them that I would like to turn gray, but I want all the color
spots replaced with the same shade of gray (not to darker/lighter shades of gray
depending on how dark/light the original color was).  Also want original whites,
grays, and blacks left as is.

I started using Color > Map > Color Exchange but the threshold is either missing
too much or grabbing too much.  Not sure how to select everything that isn't
white, gray, or black.

Hope that makes sense, apologies if it doesn't or if there's an obvious fix I'm
missing due to genetics or disposition.

--
ottenm (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)