>In the gimp, Save and Export are different things.  If you save as
>an xcf file, it should have all the layers.  AFAIK a png file cannot
>have layers - so to "save" to png (or jpeg) you have to use the
>Export command.  You will also find that xcf files are larger than
>pngs, so make sure you have enough space on your filesystem
>(probably not a big issue in 2.8, particularly if the dimensions of
>the png are screen-size, but in 2.9 the xcf files are bigger - I've
>filled up /home on one of my machines while editing photos and
>saving xcfs (with different names) at various points).
>
>ĸen

@Ken
Hi Ken - Thanks very much for the reply. Very helpful.
I think I have solved the problem. I export the .xcf file to Desktop - then into
a new folder.
I think I was saving then exporting the file before & it was ending up as a .png
file in the new folder!
Thanks for helping me clear that up - much appreciated.

--
JackOats (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)