Glad I didn’t update beyond 2.8.18.

You didn’t mention what OS you use. This would be useful for diagnostics, and
so it could be determined whether this was a Windows, Mac, or Linux problem.

I’m on a Mac, OS 10.12.6, running Huion driver V11.1.8. Works fine with GIMP
2.8.18. It would be a disaster if I upgraded and suddenly couldn’t use the
tablet.

In my configuration, GIMP always wants to see the pen set as airbrush at
startup. I usually have to select another tool three times before it takes.
Thereafter it’s fine.

Ross