I've begun learning & using Gimp. I figured I may as well start with the newest version of Gimp that I could find so I am using Partha's build: win7x64, v2.9.5, commit 14795c1.

I should have been more careful but I ignored the "Unstable Development Version" warning which I get when I start Gimp. I lost quite a bit of work after getting some error messages about not being able to read swap or something. A save (CTL-S) seemed to work, so I continued. It turns out the image is corrupted.

Question: many editors have an option to make a backup of the item being edited before writing over the original. I know I could do a "save as" but that is rather tedious as I would have to type a name each time. Is there any option or extension that would save a time stamped backup before overwriting the original when I use CTL-S to save my progress?

I would think this would be a very useful option. I was very surprised to find that I could accidentally move the background layer. It seems to me that it is far too easy to accidentally do something (because I forgot to click the right tool), not notice and then save over my original.

As an aside, is there something I could put on the windows shortcut that would save a log of error messages? The popup said something about writing to stderr, but that does not exist on windows when I start via the shortcut link.