>Thanks for th quick replies which is really appreciated.
>I have only recently started to use GIMP2 and so in 'learning mode' at
>present. I had been using an old version of Paint Shop Pro which
>wasn't written very well to handle memory and so I couldn't create
>layers with large image files which GIMP2 can.

Opps that didn't work (convert to 1 bit) which resulted in an error when I
attempted to save as a TIFF file (TIFF save cannot handle indexed images with
alpha channel.)
I should I guess explain what I am trying to do. I am creating photo realistic
scenery for use withing Flight Simulator X.
What I have to do is create a 'water mask' which is done by creating a layer and
then using that layer to 'paint out' all the water areas using a BRUSH which is
of  color BLACK (0,0,0). This I have already done. I select that layer and then
convert it to 1 bit and then attempt to EXPORT it as a TIFF image with NO
COMPRESSION. That is when I get the error. Is there a way around that.

--
jgarnold (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)