>Just the way Gimp handles layers, something to get used to.
>
>1. With the text tool active and in the active text layer, hold the
>ctrl & alt keys down, click and drag the text layer. see screenshot 01
>
>2. Generally moving any layer using the move tool.
>
>Gimp looks for the first solid pixel and moves the layer where it
>finds it. You can see the active layer temporarily move if you click
>on transparency in the layer you are working on. This can be very
>useful, saving time actively moving between layers.
>
>Of course, lots of transparency in text layers, so with the move tool
>active, enable Move-the active-layer in the tool options. Click and
>drag the layer around. see screenshot 02
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Great info, Rich. I tried ti all and it works perfectly. You're right no quirk,
just the way GIMP works. This is a treasure trove of good info for me. I was
wondering why it was so quirky, now I understand the really great features GIMP
has . Very clear explanation. The screenshots really help also.

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)