Main reason why it did not work for jpg is that it doesn't have its own
alpha channel, therefore when you deleted selection, Gimp filled it with
background color (black by default).
As somebody above mentioned, you need to add alpha channel to layer with
image. Then after removing selection, it will be transparent.
Even better way is to add layer mask. (that will cause non destructive
transparency that can be tweaked)