>Use the UD109.pdf as a base, open @ 300 ppi
>
>Add a new transparent layer, top of the layer stack.
>
>Set horizontal and vertical 50% guides Image -> Guides -> New Guide
>(by percent) Fortunately the pdf is symmetrical.
>
>Check that View -> Snap to Guides is on
>
>Use the elliptical select tool. Set the tool properties to Fixed
>Aspect ratio (1:1) and expand from center.
>
>Draw out the selection from the guides intersection to fit the pdf.
>
>Use Edit -> Stroke selection to paint the circle on the layer.
>
>Repeat for other circle. Turn off selection.
>
>All your artwork goes under that layer. Save as a Gimp .xcf to keep
>all the layers, guides etc.
>
>Before exporting as a jpg/tiff/... turn off the visibility of the
>layer.
>
>The above as a 3 minute video https://youtu.be/0UgVavZ3l78
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thank you thank you Rich. The video really helped a lot. The text explanation
was very good, but a video really gives such clarity. I learned a lot. GIMP is
such a deep program with so many not so obvious features. The only think I still
can't figure out is after you have the ellipse made and later come back to it by
hitting the ellipse tool and selecting they layer. How do you tweak the size of
the ellipse? I actually have 3 ellipses in that layer and colored the outer
border and inner circle.

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)