>Hello Everyone,
>
>New here and nice to be a part of the community.   I've just recently
>started/trying to use gimp and I have a main criteria that I have
>found difficult to implement and needs serious solving.
>
>Basically, I just need to cut a part of an image and place it into
>another image.
>
>The base image is a product that I would need to place in the second
>image which is a colorless light background.
>
>Problem is the base product image has a shadow which I would wish to
>keep when I transfer it to the background image and I want to make it
>look like the original without any shadow distortions.
>
>I have attached the product image and the background image.
>
>Is there anyone there that can help and possibly show a solution?
>
>Greatly appreciated.

Add the IMG jpeg over the background.  File -> Open as Layers.

Give the IMG layer an alpha channel for transparency. Layers -> Transparency ->
Add alpha channel

Use the fuzzy select tool with a threshold set to about 50. Click in the grey
area to make the selection. see screenshot 1

Now you can use Edit -> Cut to remove the original background allowing the new
background to show. see screenshot 2

Save your work as a Gimp xcf for future use, It saves all layers, guides, all
sorts of things. When complete Export as a png / tiff / jpeg.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/852/original/01-select.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/853/original/02-select.jpg