Using V2.10.2 portable from Partha's site I still have the Quick Mask button -
its a small square outline below the vertical ruler and to the left of the
horizontal scroll bar. Mousing over it shows "Toggle Quick Mask on/off Shift-Q".

Clicking in the square or pressing Shift-Q does indeed turn the Quick Mask on or
off.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)