>Hi
>I am a new GIMP user and i was part way through a masterpiece however
>i noticed that i had drawn part of my drawing on my photo layer. Now
>whenever i try to select the paintbrush strokes that i have done it
>selects the photo aswel and i can not seem to separate them. Is this
>possible to do as i have drawn a fair bit of detail on the photo layer
>and i would love to avoid having to do it all again if possible. Is
>there any way to just select the things you have added to the original
>photo?
>
>Please help

Not paying attention, Gimp set up so layers are buried in a corner like
Photoshop?

If you have "Saved" then even Undo "ctrl-z" has gone.  screenshot
https://i.imgur.com/ttcexzp.jpg

Depend how much has been done but you might be able to clone the original back
in.

Open the original as a layer, does not have to be at the bottom but it is a
convenient spot.

Select the clone tool and set Alignment to Registered. Ctrl-Click in the
***imported layer*** to set the source. https://i.imgur.com/8khoxUV.jpg

Now you can clone from that layer into the layer with the "mistake" Any brush
will work but go for one of the fuzzies. https://i.imgur.com/xTW1oA0.jpg

How to stop it happening again? You can lock any layer from the layers dialogue.
In Gimp 2.10 it is Pixels - Move the layer - Transparency
https://i.imgur.com/DHpUIgG.jpg

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)