>Thanks for the prompt reply.  You mention "make copies of these
>layers",  would you please detail the steps to "make a copy" of a
>layer for me.  I'm brand new to GIMP and have not yet been able to
>install the GIMP help file(s) on my Win XP notebook.  I would welcome
>some help for installing the GIMP User Manual so as to benefit from
>its expertise.
>
>Regards,
>PAL in Thailand

Using XP. Then using Gimp 2.8.x (Gimp 2.10 requires Win7 or better)

No real way to display layers side-by-side other than temporary copies of the
layers. These will be fixed, they will not update with the main image.

If you are in single window mode, like this screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/OZojGk6.jpg go into default multi-window mode

That might give something like this: https://i.imgur.com/05M60hO.jpg Click and
drag from the layer dialogue to the top of the toolbox. That will open as a new
layer.

Arrange on the desktop. https://i.imgur.com/nC8K9NB.jpg Scale copies to a
smaller size. Oversize windows shrink them with ctrl-J

Is your laptop set for English or is it Thai language.There is no Thai
translation for the help files. The installers are bottom of this page
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

If you do not mind using English, the PDF from http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/ is
a good alternative.

--