>Ok, so I used the .png and I still get the white space.  I crop, then
>export to .png and when I place it in word, I get an image with
>cropped image and white space (which equals the original size image).

I do not think you are actually cropping anything.

This is Gimp 2.10.6 in (k)ubuntu. I use a light theme but you should be able to
follow these screenshots

1. Use the the crop tool.

2. Draw on the canvas the area you want to crop. When it is marked hit the enter
key

3. That will leave the cropped image. Export that as a jpeg or png. Give it a
new name to differentiate from the original if required.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1002/original/01-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1003/original/02-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1004/original/03-crop.jpg