I agree that a scale option in the export menu would certainly be handy,
but it comes with its own set of problems - like which type of scaling
algorithm to use?  The different algorithms may produce different results
depending on what is being exported - so I _think_ it may be smarter to try
the one that makes sense for your particular image, then export and
undo/not-save.

Not sure if this has been requested as a feature or not, but if not it
might be worth asking.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list <
gimp-user-list@gnome.org> wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> I'm currently working with a huge image, 19262×12825, and now when I
> finished it I want to export it as jpeg. In the export dialogue, I can
> easily change the quality, and since the image is maybe 95 % white I can
> select a very low quality number and still keep a decent quality, but the
> file size is still at least 5 MiB.
> The high resolution is not necessary at all. The reason for having it in
> the first place is that I scanned an A2 document with an A4 scanner four
> times and put it together in GIMP and I used the scanner's highest
> resolution; I figured it's best to have the best possible resolution to
> work with and then scale it down as the last step of the process.
> Anyway, to save it, scaled down to, I don't know, maybe 20 % or even 10, I
> first need to scale down the whole file, then export and then undo the
> down-scaling (or quit without saving), or is there an easier way? I wish
> there was a scale option in the jpeg quality dialogue or in a separate
> dialogue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
> Am I missing something?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC