>This an be tricky depending on the extent of the area that needs to be
>filled.
>
>I've often found other problems - particularly if there's a large
>gradient
>of varying brightness across a sky

>In the past I've had luck with cloning large sections of the sky or
>just
>copy/pasting a big region to where I need it and blending it by hand

>Resynthesizer and G'MIC inpainting often work best when there's
>texture
>that needs to be synthesized to match it's surroundings, but might not
>do
>as good a job if it's a big area of gradient sky.

Hello Gary
Talking to a photographer that works and lives nearby , we often talk about best
ways to get the best out of images , his suggestion  (unless you have already
tried this) copy/paste a much larger than you need selection , make it a new
layer under main image , move that bottom layer left/right/up/down  until it
sort of looks umm ok then with the erase tool set at a large size with opacity
turned down down , I think he means to have it blend in  (as much as you can)
definitely I was told without using the smudge tool    , also mentioned that
using a non standard brush eg smoke/cloud/splatter type brushes set to large
size could also help .

My suggestion is keep experimenting and enjoy and that's what art is all
about... you never know when the next - "Happy Accidents In Art"  will happen

Hope it Helps & Good Luck

--
fa-flyingalone (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)