I guess technically by “definition” one could consider GIMP a knock off but
that’s like saying an my and all image processing programs are knock offs of
one another.

That said, GIMP isn’t being developed to take whatever features are in
Photoshop and remake them into a free program. GIMP is developed entirely
independently of Photoshop with very little regard given to what Adobe is
adding to its product.

At the end of the day, does it really matter?