This entirely depends on the dpi you are going to be printing at
(resolution).

A4 is about 8.27 inches wide and 11.69 inches tall.
If you print at 300 pixels per inch that means your image width would be
around 2,481 pixels wide (and 3507 pixels tall).

Do you know what print resolution you will be targeting?  Ask your printer
what they support and what you should be aiming for.
Assuming everything is scaled correctly, it shouldn't be too big a problem
to rescale down to what's desired (although you may want to let the print
shop do this for you?).

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:35 AM PMan22 <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently making a recipe book for charity in GIMP 2.10. I've made all
> of
> the pages on A4 templates. However, when measuring something today I
> noticed the
> results in mm were huge! This led me to realise that my documents are
> ginormous!
> 880mm x 1240mm approx. I normally have it set to pixels which don't mean a
> lot
> to me (I've not had any formal training in graphic design or the software)
> so I
> guess I didn't notice. I've already spent months on this project and the
> prospect of remaking all of the pages is daunting as I have my actual work
> to do
> as well. The weird thing is when I copy and paste items from a page into an
> actual A4 template the scale is the same. I've definitely always selected
> A4
> template. Has anyone ever had this problem or know how to fix it? Is it
> just a
> glitch? The pages as exported JPEGS in actual size are also huge, but
> again I
> never noticed as they were always scaled fit to page before. Please help!!
> Thanks so much in advance!
>
> --
> PMan22 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC