hi,

For the first time last weekend I tried using gimp to print. And the
experience was not a happy one :( Gimp really crawled (just filling was
taking 15 mins). Anyway a lot of this was probably my fault for I hadn't
bothered changeing any of the enviroment options from there defaults. So I
spent monday playing with different values and am a bit confused.

The help file says to set the tile cache so that gimp only uses real
memory, however I'm not entirley sure how to figure this out. I'm running
gimp on a debian box with 64meg of ram by the time X has started I have
virtually no real memory left. Should I set the tile cache small enough not
to require any swap (<1meg)? Or am I missing the point?

Secondly would it make any difference tweaking the values in hdparm (I
allready have udma turned on) bearing in mind that I'm swapping 100M+
images(before I have added any layers) in and out (presumably in tile cache
size chunks).

Thirdly as I'm using the .deb would I see any improvements here if I
recompiled gimp myself (i.e would I get any kind of mmx type speed
enhancements)?

Finally are there anyother ways I can improve the speed at which gimp works
when dealing with large images? (I have experiment with "conservative
memory usage" but didn't notice any drastic changes)

One more question haveing a large undo history size only affects the amount
disc space used and dosen't impact on performance, right?

I'm not looking for miracles but gimp was trounced by photoshop editing the
same image on slower computer (select -> fill with forground colour, a
round five minutes in photoshop  the same thing >15 in gimp). Something
must be wrong some where.

thanks for any help

(I'm running potatoe, with gimp 1.2.1. k6 2 400, 64 meg, udma 66 hd) (the
photoshop box was k6 2 300, 64meg, umda 33)

rob