Hi Bill,

- I've been away for three days-

well, I did what you suggested (moving the glib,gtk and gimp
source to  ../src), but nothing changed, only the directory that gimp
leaves at the end becomes another one:
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gtk+'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

> My first question is:  why are you installing these in your home

My last gimps (in SuSE 6.0 and 6.2) had their source also in the
home-directory and this didn't affect the installation.

I also have the required glib1.2.8 and gtk+ 1.2.8 on the
SuSE-distribution-CD, but if I install these, gimp says, while
compiling, that he can't find gtk+.config, which he tries to find in
/usr/local/bin. When I compile glib by myself, it puts glib.config to

BTW - I'm root