I'm having an odd problem. I'll bring up a jpg for editing, and while all
the other revisions seem to save fine, cropping doesn't always. And it
seems some files are more stubborn than others. I've tried savign the
cropped image under a new file name, tried cropping, then cutting and
pasting to a new file, and saving... some files refuse to crop.

I've closed the Gimp, and restarted it, clicking on the preview shows the
cropped image, but opening the file - reverts to the full sized format
pre: cropping.

I forget which version it is - came with SuSE 7.0