I haven't checked this out yet first hand, but I found this while
wondering around freshmeat:

"PhymodMedia Organic effects for The GIMP

The PhymodMedia plug-in provides four new menu items:
Media/Color Pencils... - Draw with color pencils, works best with a
graphics tablet
     Media/Texture... - Select a texture to use with the color pencils
     Filters/Render/Clouds/Sky... - Create random near photorealistic
     Script-Fu/Alchemy/Thick Oil Paint - Apply an oil paint filter to
the current image."

That's what it claims. I dunno.