Unfortunately gimp doesn't have an indexed mode that
supports more than 256 colors (yet).  In general, the
indexed mode is rather neglected in gimp.  There may
be a plug-in to leave it RGB and reduce the number of
colors used, but I'm not sure what its name would be.

Best Regards,

Seth Burgess
[EMAIL PROTECTED]