Hi, Michael.

After you've created your path, right-click on the image and click
"Layers", and then "Layers, Channels & Paths...".  Then click on the
"Paths" tab in the dialog that comes up.  (Actually, I find it much
easier to work with paths if you have this dialog up to begin with.  I
almost never do _anything_ in the Gimp without the Layers, Channels,
and Paths dialog open. :)  You should see your path in the Paths
dialog.  Right-click on it and select "Export Path...".  That will
allow you to enter a filename to save the path to.

To reuse the path, bring up the Paths dialog again, and right click in
the palette area (the big white area) and choose "Import Path...".
Select your file and Voila!

I went through this process myself to make sure it worked, so if
something doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll help you through

Happy Gimping!
Ben Logan