Unless you ran gimp as root there is nothing it can do that would harm your
system. (With the possible exception that it could get stuck in a loop and
spew out error messages untill you run out of disk space).
This isn't the place for a fix but you would need to give a lot more info
about the problem.
i.e what version of X your using, what graphical login your using (gdm,xdm
etc), what error messages you get, whether you can start X from the command
line.
or if you wanted to fix why gimp went strange for starters you need to say
what version your running, what messages you got in the error logs, what
hardware your using and anything else that might be petienet such as what
exactly you did and if it is repeatable.