There should probably be some explanation somewhere of
what built-in types gimp expects.  Real quick:

image    : (whole image, with layers, channels, etc)

drawable : (anything that can be drawn on - includes
layers & channels)

layer    : (a layer in the image - all layers are
drawables, not all drawables are layers)  Layers have
an associated image.

floating-layer: special type of layer; not all
operations are valid on floating layers.

There's probably more I've forgotten - ask if you run
into one.

Seth