I have an image (splash logo for the upcoming Emacs 21) that I'm
trying to save as an 24-bit xpm with transparency that is not saving
as expected.

I don't know whether this is a bug in gimp or my lack of
understanding of the underlying mechanism.

I'm running gimp 1.0.0 on sparc-sun-solaris. I start with my xcf
(RGB-layered) image, then use script-fu to generate a drop-shadow for
the image; then I merge visible layers and and I save as xpm
(alpha=1.0) and I get...well, not what I expect, given what the
original looks like.

The xcf image is at http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/emacs/splash3.xcf

The xpm image is at http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/emacs/splash3.xpm

Gimp 1.2.1 running under Linux *mumble* gives slightly different
results but not what I expect.

Could someone please have a look and see if they can figure it out?