I've recently gone from GIMP 1.0.4 to GIMP 1.2.1 and since then I've noticed that the
swap file seems to grow inexorably until it fills up the filesystem it's in. I'm doing
basic retouching of a series of JPEG images so I just open, update and close them one
after another. sometimes I get a pop-up box saying "unable to write to disk" and
sometimes GIMP just crashes. this is only an annoyance because if I just start it up
again everything is fine for a while. however, I was wondering if there is anyway I
can control this behavior? what is the swap file used for anyway? once I've saved and
closed an image shouldn't any swap file space be freed up?

Jim Lane
Sr. Technical Consultant
Network Services
Toronto Hydro