I recently moved from Gimp 1.0.4 to Gimp 1.2.1 which caused my old method of
creating layers out of Lasso (Freehand) selection to fail:

I used to select the lasso tool, draw the boundaries of the selection, then
invoked the command Select -> Float via the right hand mouse button, and then
anchored the newly created layer.

In Gimp 1.0.4 this partitioned the picture in two layers: the Background layer
and the newly created layer. In Gimp 1.2.1 this is no longer the case: the
image is partitioned into three parts: the two layers as before, but there is
also a path which consists of the boundary between the two layers. If you
merge the two layers (or flatten the image) you still do not get the whole
picture back, but you loose the path. Any ideas what is happening? I'd like to
have the old behaviour back, as I do not need the paths here.

Eike Ritter