I've just released "thumbnail.scm", a small but effective
script for the GIMP 1.2 to make a defined thumbnail from
your current image.
You can set max-width and max-height and JPG-quality
and optionally provide a filename if you want it to be
saved automatically.
Please find it with some description on my website:
Hope, it helps you with your daily work to save some
time. Note, that it CANNOT automatically parse whole
directories! (At least, not yet ;-)
Kind regards to all the GIMP people out there in the world,
*** Please spread the news ***
***   Feedback is welcome  ***