As a long time user of Photoshop, I've unfortunately gotten used to some of it's
features.  I've since switched over to using the Gimp, but there are a few
things that I continue to miss:

I oftentimes find myself requiring a lot of precision when moving selections.
Ideally, I would use the arrow keys to move the floating selection; and
therefore "nudge" as I see fit.  Unfortunately, I can't find a way to accomplish
this through any of the menu items, preferences, documentation, or mailing list
archives.  Is there a way to bind the arrow keys to act similarly?

(Preferrablly, I'd like to actually have the arrow keys automatically float a
selection and begin moving that floating layer; rather than moving the layer
that the selection is on.)

I'm not necessarily stuck on this /particular/ setup.  I understand that it's
not the Gimp's role to do everything just because PS does, and I'd certainly
welcome an alternative method.

Additionally, I also find it very hard to work with the edges of a layer -- the
blue and yellow border makes it very hard to correctly gauge alignment --
particularly near the edge of an image.  Is there a way to disable it?

I'm using version 1.2.1 -- would upgrading to 1.2.2 or a development version
help?

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for contributing to an amazing
program!  Please cc me directly, as I don't sub to this list,

Donovan