Hello Imre.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2001-09-13 at 1048.26 +0200):

> My problem is that I don't understand how to
>  create this mask. It is not clear in the manual
>  how to do this.

I found this tutorial:
http://www.gimp.org/tut-basic.html
to be very helpful in showing how the gimp 1.0 layers work.

> Could you advise another way for such an effect?

You might consider upgrading to GIMP 1.2 and check out the online book:
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html Grokking the GIMP by Corey Banks.
The newer GIMP is wonderful and the online book was good enough to make me buy it!

> I hope somebody understand what a want to say.

I hope I understood your questions. Good Luck with GIMP.

carol