Typing "gimp" is the way to open it.  If you make a menu item, or a
desktop icon for the Gimp, it will simply type "gimp" for you. What
you see is not it re-installing it's plug-ins; it's just loading them.
(Assuming that you have a proper Gimp installation.  If it is in fact
re-installing them, you have a problem with your Gimp installation.)

Depending on the speed of your machine, how much memory you have, and
the number of plugins you have, it can take a minute or two for it to
load everything.