Peter wrote:> Hi all,

> a question to a gimp-geek:
>
> "Create two non-transparent layers and set their names to "Pe" and
> "Shadow""
>
> Well, I'll understand it :-)
>
> "Add a layer mask to both layers and copy the content of the
> "Background" layer inside the newly created masks"
>
> Now I have a problem, i can't find an option to "copy the content of
> the "Background" layer inside the newly created masks". How should I
> do this? With a right click onto a layer I found no option to copy.

Make the background layer active by clicking on it in the layers
and channels dialog box.  It should become highlighted in blue.
Then move your cursor back to the image window and select the
whole thing using either the menu Select All, or by simply using
Ctl-A from the keyboard.  That gives you a copy of the
background layer.

Now go back to the layers and channels dialog and make one of
the layers with a mask the active layer.  Then left-click inside
the mask image (still on the layers and channels dialog) to make
sure the mask is the active part of the image.  Go back to the
image window and paste from your copy (Ctl-V, followed by Ctl-H
to anchor the pasted picture).  Repeat on the other masked layer.

Note that the select-copy-paste series of actions is a common
idiom that you'll be using all the time.

> "The color of the "Pe" layer should be set to "#808080" (Gray 50%),
> the color of the "Shadow" layer should be "#000000" (Black)."
>
> I'll never find an option in the layer-window how to set colors to
> specified layers !?!

Select the Pe layer and left-click on the image icon in the
layers and channels dialog (not the mask icon, which is just to
its right).  That activates the Pe
layer and makes the image part active.

Now left click on the foreground color at the bottom of the
toolbox (foreground color is the one in the upper left of the
pair of little colored rectangles at the bottom of the toolbox).
 This will bring up a color setting dialog.  You can go ahead
and type the hex value in the entry box at the lower right of
the color dialog (e.g., #808080).

Now select the bucket fill tool, select all of the Pe layer
(Ctl-A again), and fill with the now-active foreground color.

To get back to black and white for filling the shadow layer,
just click on the little black and white boxes below the
foreground/background color swatches in the toolbar.

Hope this helps,

--
--Jeff

Jeff Trefftzs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>