Gimp is a fine editor for grayscale and RGB color images (used for computer
displays, movies, and television). At the moment, though, it doesn't have the
functionality needed for color prepress.

One problem is that Gimp can not yet handle a CMYK color model. I have read
that's something currently being worked on for the next major release. It
also doesn't have support for trapping yet, but I think that's tied in to the
lack of a CMYK color model, because it hasn't really been used for
professional print work, so far.

Another problem is handling other color spaces, such as Hexachrome, Pantone,
and some others. These tend to be patented technologies that we may not see
in the Gimp for the next ten to fifteen years or so. There has been some
discussion about having a plug-in architecture for colorspaces, so that
people outside the U.S. can implement the features, and people in the U.S.
can pay patent fees to Adobe, Pantone, etc., for the right to use the
software here. I don't know how well that will work, but I've got my fingers
crossed.

--Joel