Hi! I'm relatively new to GIMP and I find it VERY useful!  I'm running 1.2.3-pre2 on Linux and I have a quick question about fonts.  I'm running the GIMP on Linux over the network via X.  I use the X-Win32 X-Server on Windows NT 4.0 (SP6) to access my Linux machine.  The GIMP runs fine this way, but I can't use the Text tool because NONE of the fonts can be located.  I had guessed the list of fonts displayed in the Text tool were being read from some place on the Linux box and they would appear in the "font" selection area, but when I would try to actually put the text in my image, I will get "font not found" errors.

So, then I figured maybe the X-Server on Windows was the source of the fonts being displayed in the Text tool, so I added the font server on the Linux box to the X-Server's font path and got a different set of fonts.  They loaded slowly, but they loaded.

My question is:  where does the GIMP get the list of fonts for the Text tool and WHY do the fonts that are listed NEVER found (given my configuration)?  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Peace....

Tom

My DVD Collection