On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Carol Spears wrote:

> On 2002-01-31 at 0124.38 -0800, Doris Philastre typed this mail:

> > Okay, I created an image in GIMP that has no background for use on a web
> > site. I saved it as a .psd file because GIMP doesn't support .gif.

Doris/Carol,

> sounds like you need to install the non-free GIMP.  i am not sure how
> your distribution handles this, but the gif libraries need to be special
> requested to keep the developers out of jail.  same with tiff format.

  PMFJI, but I didn't see the beginning of this thread. I'd like to
contribute two thoughts:

  1)  Use your image in JPEG (.jpg) format on your web page. That's what
we've done (URL is in the sig, below) and it works very well. This avoids
the patents and other legal issues associated with GIF. I don't think that I
have a single .gif left on our network. They've all been converted to either
.jpg (for pictorial image files) or .tif (for spatial imagery data files).

  2)  The open source ImageMagick is a powerful set of tools. One tool,
'convert', will handle the format conversions for you:

convert(1)                                             convert(1)

NAME
        convert - converts an input file using one image format to an output
        file with the same or differing image format.

SYNOPSIS
       convert [ options ... ] file [ file... ] file

DESCRIPTION

       convert converts an input file using one image format to an output
        file with  the same or differing image format.

       convert recognizes the following image formats:

       Tag    Description
       AVS    AVS X image file.

       BIE+   Joint Bi-level Image experts Group file interchange format.

       BMP+   Microsoft Windows bitmap image file.

       BMP24+ Microsoft Windows 24-bit bitmap image file.

       CGM    Computer Graphics Metafile.

       CMYK   Raw cyan, magenta, yellow, and black bytes.

       DCX+   ZSoft IBM PC multi-page Paintbrush file.

       DIB    Microsoft Windows bitmap image file.

       DICOM  Medical image file.

       EPDF   Encapsulated Portable Document Format.

       EPI    Adobe Encapsulated PostScript Interchange format.

       EPS    Adobe Encapsulated PostScript file.

       EPS2   Adobe Level II Encapsulated PostScript file.

       EPSF   Adobe Encapsulated PostScript file.

       EPSI   Adobe Encapsulated PostScript Interchange format.

       EPT    Adobe Encapsulated PostScript Interchange format with TIFF
                preview.

       FAX+   Group 3.

       FIG    TransFig image format.

       FITS   Flexible Image Transport System.

       FPX    FlashPix Format.

       GIF+   CompuServe graphics interchange format; 8-bit color.

       GIF87+ CompuServe graphics interchange format; 8-bit color (version
                87a).

       GRAY   Raw gray bytes.

       GRADIENT
              gradual passing from one shade to another. Specify the desired
                shading  as
              the filename (e.g. gradient:red-blue).

       GRANITE
              granite texture.

       HDF+   Hierarchical Data Format.

       HISTOGRAM

  etc. Check out 'man convert'.

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com