Aftter rereading your post --- why are you using Gimp on a
print document? Is there some special feature you are using
that is not available from your typesetting program? I take
an opposite course --- preparing the print document in e.g.,
plain tex or pdftex and then adding images as needed. For a
business card I would not use gimp unless the layout was very
fancy. If I used Gimp for a business card I would use the
(limited) text production capability within Gimp. Is that
what you are doing?

John Culleton