John Culleton writes:
> I guess I must keep asking this question until someone responds.
> How do I install the xsane plugin in Gimp? Xsane runs ok standalone.

Tino gave an answer for gimp installed from source.  If you're
using gimp from an RPM, you probably want the xsane-gimp RPM,
which apparently provides the hooks necessary to make the gimp
see the sane plugin.  On a Redhat 7.2 system:

% rpm -qa | grep sane
% rpm -ql xsane-gimp
% file /usr/bin/xsane-gimp
/usr/bin/xsane-gimp: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

My gimp 1.3.3 installed from source doesn't see the xsane plugin,
though, so Tino's instructions are probably better if you're
installing gimp and xsane from source.