GIMP Users,

I recently competed a flyer for a relative that I had incorporated several
clip-arts from the Internet.  Many of them had a colored background that was
not compatible with the white background I was using.  I used Gimp to remove
the background using the rectangle and Del button.  This was very time
consuming to say the least and prone to cutting away parts that I did not
want too.  I believe there is a better way to do this.

Somewhere I believe there is GIMP function that allows surrounding the
selected art object about its perimeter and deleting everything outside it.
Its name, use and location escapes me.  Would someone run me through this
process, please. Is there a better way of removing background color?