Roland,

Thank your for the information.

jjc

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Roberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 2:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] what is optical resolution

    jjc> Roland, You certainly have answered most of the questions I
    jjc> had in mind.  I do have one remaining question, however.  The
    jjc> digital cameras I've seen at stores like CompUSA only list in
    jjc> their spec. total pixels.  For example 1.3 Meg pixels.  My
    jjc> question is how can I translate this number to the print size
    jjc> I want to print (w/o perceptible distortion)?  I print all
    jjc> photos on 8.5" x 11" photo paper and would like to print also
    jjc> at 17" x 22".

The more common formats in digital camera are a 4:3 ratio, at least
for the smaller formats.  I have a 1.3 megapixel camera and it's
formats are 320x240, 640x480, and 1280x960.  Higher end cameras may do
other things.  Do a little more digging, you should be able to find
something about the actual formats supported for your camera.

    jjc> I don't currently have a digital camera.  I use the new Kodak
    jjc> format and for the developing process I request digitized
    jjc> photos.  I don't now recall the size of each photo-file
    jjc> return (via CD) but I think each photo-file is a jpeg file
    jjc> under 1 Meg.

    jjc> So my real question is should I buy a $200 HP camera at 1.3
    jjc> Meg pixels or a $ 200 HP scanner?

What's the resolution of the scanner?

A 1.3 megapixel camera will never produce satisfactory prints at 17x22
and, even though Ofoto (http://www.ofoto.com) claims it will print at
8x10, the quality if marginal.  Acceptable for a family vacation
photo, maybe, but not for critical work.  Mind you, we bought a Fuji
FinePix 1400 1.3 megapixel camera last year for vacation pictures
where we expect to (1) put them on the web for our family members to
view and (2) occasionally make 4x6 snapshot-sized prints for
friends/relatives.  For 8x10 prints, I wouldn't recommend anything
less than a 2 megapixel camera, but again, that is primarily for
non-critical work.

I'd say spend the money on the printer if you are doing artwork.  Even
an inexpensive color printer is acceptable for proofs.  My dad does
commercial work and he considers his Tektronix Phaser (don't remember
which model) only acceptable for proofs.  For high quality, it goes to
a service bureau.

roland
--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B