    John> I have a JPEG that was scanned at say 300dpi. I reduce it in
    John> size in Gimp. Now the dpi shoots up in proportion. I want to
    John> use the reduced image on a web page where anything over
    John> 75dpi is overkill. I know I can scale back the precision
    John> when I save the file but what is the relationship if any
    John> between the percentages shown on the save dialogue and the
    John> dpi of the saved image?

If you are putting it on the web, ignore DPI.  You don't care about
DPI, you care about dimensions.  DPI will have *no* effect on what you
see for a web image.

                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Forest Hills, NY 11375