Using a PC Card Reader for the memory stick. Mounts as an ide drive.
Works like a charm. Just don't umount the drive before you eject the
card. Locks up the machine that way ....

        As several people already pointed out, this problem is much easier to
solve using ImageMagick. Thanks to Geoffrey who sent me a script that
got me started in the right direction. (before that I was totally lost
as to how ImageMagick even functioned.)
                Thanks all !