Hi there.

I have a closed outline on an otherwise transparent layer. I want to fill the area
inside the outline, but not the area outside the outline. More accurately, I want to
achieve the *effect* of a filled outline surrounded by transparency - it doesn't have
to happen on the layer with the outline :-)

Using the fill tool, I can only fill inside the outline if the outline is on a white
or black layer. Using "sample merged" in the fill tool, I can create a filled shape on
a lower white or black layer too, of course. It is as if the fill tool can only work
on non-transparent points. Switching "keep trans" off on the layer to be filled
doesn't make a difference.

If I could start with a white or black layer, fill inside the outline with my chosen
pattern, then fill outside the outline with transparency, that would solve the problem
too. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to fill an area with transparency,
only with a colour.

Short of freehand selecting my (complicated) outline and filling the selected area, is
there any way to fill an outline on a transparent layer?

Yours hopefully,

Karl Auer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                   +41-43-2660706 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/                  +41- 1-6327531 (w)