I ussually convert files in xbm format to png format using
this command:

gimp -i -b '(file-png-save 1 (car (file-xbm-load
1 "file.xbm"  "file.xbm")) (car (gimp-image-active-drawable
(car (file-xbm-load 1 "file.xbm"  "file.xbm)))) file.png
file.png 0 9 0 0 0 0 0))'  '(gimp-quit 0)'

This executes two batches (each one between '): "file-png-
save" to convert the file , and "gimp-quit 0" to exit gimp. See
the specifications of the scripts to understand that command
do, and ask me if you don't understand anything

Yanil.

P.S.: I'm sorry about my english, but I'm spanish speaker.

> I am a newbee on this list, and with gimp 1.2.1 on Solaris
8.
> I have to convert a lot of colors images in greyscale, in
another
> format, and ImageMagick have problems to open the
original image (due to
> the size ?).
> I would like to use GIMP procced it in batch mode. I know
the sequence
> to apply in manual mode, but I can't make it in batch. I
prefer use
> command line, rather than script or perl-fu, if it is possible
>
> I didn't found any solution on this forum, in the user
manual and at
> <http://adrian.gimp.org/batch/batch.html>
>
> Where can I find others exemples to understand the good
way ?