I'm not sure If I'm doing this right but any way, open a new file and
draw a line the length you want the dash to be. Save this as a gimp
brush (.gbr) and put it into your gimp brushes directory. go to the
brush dialog select the brush you just made and change the interval for
it so that you get the right spaces you want. I'm not sure this will
work but it seems worth a try. You other option is to type "-" and
postiton them where you want.