Well shoot, I was just being lazy, let me try to save you a little bit of
trouble...

As I recall, you need to point to the pkg-config executable by one of two
methods:
A. the directory containing the pkg-config executable is listed in your PATH
environment variable, OR
B. set an environment variable named PKG_CONFIG to the complete path
including the name of the pkg-config executable.

Note that PKG_CONFIG_PATH does NOT point to the pkg-config executable.
PKG_CONFIG_PATH points to a list of the directories containing the
pkg-config configuration info for the packages that will be configured.  For
example, using mingw under Windows, I set PKG_CONFIG_PATH as follows:

#!/bin/sh

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=\
D:\\source\\gettext-dev-0.10.40-20020904\\lib\\pkgconfig\;\
D:\\source\\glib-dev-2.0.6-20020802\\lib\\pkgconfig\;\
D:\\source\\gtk+-dev-1.3.0-20020912\\lib\\pkgconfig
echo PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

You ought to be able to adjust that to work with the appropriate path style
and delimiters on your system.  Hope this helps.

s/KAM