> is in gimp a solution to resize some images in a given directory
> to a given height or width?

AutoThumb is doing a similar thing. (You could specify
the thumbnail size. They do not need to be small!)
However, it renames the output files, but you could change
the script a little bit, if you can?

> The proportion should stay and also the resolution should
> stay at 72!

You could specify a max width and a max height. Aspect ratio
is also kept by default.
Resolution, however is just dependent on how big you print
your images.

> i hope someone knows a hint...

It's a hint, at least. ;-)
However, IMAGEMAGIC, 'covert' and some perl-scripts might
be of much more value to you. But you're right, we're GIMP
users ;-)

/Roland/